Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Accident

Chapter 7 could probably be considered as the most drama filled chapter yet! One thing that really struck me though, was the way Tom reacted to Daisy being independent and having an affair with Gatsby. Like I said in my blog post before this, Tom was getting suspicious of Daisy's solo act at Gatsby's parties so he attended one with her. Tom finally finds out that Gatsby is in love with Daisy and that they have been together behind his back, and he, to say the least, is not thrilled. I don't think Tom's reaction is fair at all. He has been dating a lot of other women behind Daisy's back for awhile now. I think the only reason he is angry is because he does not have control over Daisy, she isn't his "safe zone" anymore. Tom knew that no matter what he did he could continue to live his double life because neither Myrtle, nor Daisy would question him. In a way I like that Tom found out about Gatsby and Daisy. Now he can get a taste of his own medicine. Although, this all also makes me sad and dumbfounded. All of these people, including Nick and Jordan, fully accept that cheating is okay, and that marriage does not matter about loving someone. Another huge part of the chapter is near the end. Daisy drives a yellow coupe home and hits Myrtle without stopping. I honestly did not see this coming at all and it made me feel terrible for Wilson. Gatsby, of course, tells Nick that he would take the blame for what happened to protect Daisy. '"Was Daisy driving?" "Yes," he said after a moment,"but of course I'll say I was"' (Fitzgerald, 110). I wonder if Tom would ever do that for her? Or maybe he would have for Myrtle? I guess we will never know now.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you opinion on Tom being protective of Daisy and being mad because he does not have complete control over Daisy now. I would say that both Tom and Gatsby are both fighting over complete control of Daisy. Despite the fact that Tom has been having affairs with other woman he still doesn't want any other man to be in Daisy's life. Maybe he feels that if people find out that his wife is having an affair with another man that it would effect his "larger than life ego". It's going to be interesting to see what else happens after this exciting chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do believe that Tom loved Daisy. Tom was confessing whole heartedly about the time Daisy and him went on their honeymoon. I do believe for a time Tom and Daisy loved each other, but their love did not last because of how selfish and superficial both of them are. Daisy's superficial nature affected Gatsby's relationship with her. Gatsby is looking for love not superficial things, but Daisy will bring him down to her level. Gatsby was fine before he met Daisy. Daisy is the one that he believed in. "No---Gatsby turned out all right at the end; it is what preyed on Gatsby, what foul dust floated in the wake of his dreams that temporarily closed out my interest in the abortive sorrows and short-winded elations of men." Nick hated what preyed on Gatsby not Gatsby himself. Daisy is the one who preyed on Gatsby.

    ReplyDelete