Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Reveal!

For awhile now their has been a big mystery around the Gatsby character and there has always been something a little strange and mysterious about him. I think because of the air of the unknown around Gatsby it has made me very interested in his character. In chapter 4 we finally figure out that Daisy and Gatsby had dated when they were younger, and were in love: "The officer looked at Daisy while she was speaking, in a way that every young girl wants to be looked at sometime, and because it seemed romantic to me I have remembered the incident ever since. His name was Jay Gatsby" (Fitzgerald, 56). Finding out about this really ties some loose ends about how in the first chapter Daisy acts weird when Gatsby is mentioned and also how Gatsby acts towards Tom in chapter 4, "They shook hands briefly, and a strained, unfamiliar look of embarrassment came over Gatsby's face" (Fitzgerald, 55). A lot happens in chapter 4 making it very significant, and my favorite chapter so far! Not only do you learn about Daisy and Gatsby, but you see a glimpse of Gatsby's personality and you find out that he can be genuine and actually is a good guy once you crack his surface. Gatsby actually reminds me a little bit of Hemingway's style of writing when he uses "The Iceberg Theory". I also think that Gatsby acts like he is older. Even though him and Nick are only a few years a part in age, I feel as if Gatsby is more mature in many different ways. I have also observed that everyone, no matter what age has a certain respect when talking to Gatsby like he has a certain type of authority over people. One thing I do still want to find out is the full story of what happened to Daisy and Gatsby. I think that they got split up because of the war and ultimately Daisy's parents or her being too superficial. Lastly, you start to see a budding romance between Jordan and Nick. I like them together, even though Jordan is a part of that fake society I think they are good for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment