Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Real Gatsby

In chapter 6 Gatsby's past is finally relieved truthfully! I don't understand why Gatsby lied about his past in the first place, especially to Nick who seems like Gatsby's only real friend. I also question if the story Nick told about how Gatsby got his money was completely true with all of the lies we have heard about Gatsby. I wonder how Gatsby got a picture at Oxford? There is still a mystery surrounding Gatsby and I want to get to the bottom of it! Another thing I have started to notice this chapter is how Daisy is not all that Gatsby wanted her to be. I think he built her up in his head so much that she is not living up to his expectation of her. I also think that Daisy has changed from who she used to be, but I also believe that Gatsby has changed too. They both have become more materialistic causing them to maybe not have as much chemistry as they used to. I don't think they will end up together just for that reason. Gatsby now expects too much of Daisy because of his idea of her and I don't think she will live up to his expectation instead of in the beginning when Gatsby never was enough for her. Now we see Gatsby trying to re-create time. He wants to go back to the past when things were better between them and when she wasn't different, "And she doesn't understand," he said. She used to be able to understand. We'd sit for hours-" (Fitzgerald,84) this quote shows that Gatsby is getting worried and sees how Daisy has changed. Another thing that fascinated me and interested me was seeing Tom get a little jealous. I think Tom is starting to see Daisy being more independent and going to Gatsby's parties alone and he does not like that. I think the only reason Tom doesn't like this is because he now doesn't have complete control over Daisy. He liked to have his affair and know that Daisy will still be there no matter what. But now I think he is getting a little nervous about Daisy's new found independence. He also starts to question Gatsby and you can tell he doesn't like him very much which I think is also foreshadowing into him finding out about Gatsby and Daisy's past.

1 comment:

  1. You've done nice work here Mackenzie. I'm always fascinated by the idea of time in this book. What makes Gatsby tick (no pun intended!)? I just don't see how he thinks he can recreate the past and pretend like Daisy hasn't moved on at all. What do some of the rest of you think? Are Gatsby's demands of Daisy too extreme? How about Mackenzie's ideas on Tom's jealousy? Any predictions for future chapters?!

    ReplyDelete