Sunday, April 29, 2012

The End

The final chapter of "The Great Gatsby" was a sad one, but it also tied up all of the loose ends. Gatsby is shot by George Wilson and dies. The sad part is, no one really cares. Nick relentlessly looks around for people that may have known Gatsby or are close to him so that Gatsby could have people at his funeral. Nick is unsuccessful and even Wolfsheim, one of Gatsby's closest friends wanted nothing to do with attending the funeral, "I saw that for some reason of his own he was determined not to come, so I stood up" (Fitzgerald, 133). This actually confused me in way, is it really that big of a deal for people just to show up to a dead man's funeral? This just shows how truly fake just about everyone in the book really is. Especially Daisy, she claimed to love him but she could not even go to his funeral, especially when his blood is on her hands because she is actually the one who killed Myrtle. I don't think it is fair for Gatsby to die for something that was not his fault. He honestly was a good guy and just wanted to be loved by Daisy and he, in the end, died because of his love. We also find out that Tom is not innocent in this situation either, he is the one who told Wilson who's car killed Myrtle. Just because these people have money they expect to do whatever they want no matter who it hurts or manipulates. I think I actually learned a lot from this book. I learned you cannot use people or trust a certain type of person. I also found that you cannot get yourself caught up in drama, like Nick. He got drug into a lot of things but he should have tried to stay out of it all because he ultimately got hurt too. I really enjoyed reading Gatsby it kept me interested throughout the book. I love the way Fitzgerald writes and watching the movie in class helps in creating images for scenes in the book. I also found that I liked blogging. It lead me to read and pay attention but to enjoy reading the book, rather than reading because I had to. 

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you on this post. I also blogged about Daisy not coming to Gatsby's funeral. I just don't understand how someone can not go to the funeral of someone who she supposedly loved and cared about. Not only that, but as you said her life was in the hands of Gatsby. Gatsby took the blame for what Daisy actually did. Daisy just tried so hard to live a life of innocence and make it seem as if she doesn't do anything wrong. Then when she does do something wrong she just simply runs away from it. We don't even see her in chapter 9 because she ran away. She knows that she should be the one dead.

    ReplyDelete