Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Aftermath

After such an eventful chapter things quiet down a little and start to wrap up. Nick wants Gatsby to go away for a little until things settle with the car accident. Gatsby will not have anything to do with that. He says: '"Go away now, old sport?'' (Fitzgerald, 113) I think Gatsby finally feels like he has Daisy and does not want to leave, even if that means putting himself in jeopardy. Although Gatsby might think he has Daisy now, I think she is honestly just bored and sick of Tom and that is the reason she is having an affair with Gatsby. In a way I believe Gatsby knows how shallow she is and knows that she will never really leave Tom. Daisy knows that Tom can take care of her and she can pretty much do whatever she pleases if she stays with Tom. This chapter confused me a little with the scheme of events that happened. Although I finally realized that these people are completely ridiculous. They have no problem with ruining other peoples lives as long as they are okay. While I was reading about how miserable Wilson is it made me realize how selfish Daisy, Tom, Gatsby, and Jordan all were. Even Nick, although he got thrown into all of this, he still hung out with them because it made him feel "on top" or important. Wilson actually turns out to be a good guy, and of course he is the one who ends up hurt and with nothing and that makes me upset. I hope Fitzgerald at least lets him get some revenge, and I think he will.

No comments:

Post a Comment